Thursday, May 9, 2013

Practice Makes More Practice

Today was a big day for the moms of the preschool set in our part of the world. It was the day of the Mother's Day Luncheon. You can see my groovy pin, designed by Olivia, and an awesome "flower" made from a green hand print--custom made for me, and in my favorite color. It's covered in glitter, even though you can't see that. The children put on a program and entertained us moms with several songs, including "Happy Mother's Day to You". We brought the food, of course. Because that's what moms do. We bring the food. Plus, if my child made the menu, we'd all end up eating a gallon of ice cream with sprinkles for lunch. I'm not entirely opposed to the idea, but I might feel some mommy guilt afterwards...



On the way home, I said, "Olivia those songs you sang were soooo pretty!"

She said, "Yes, Mommy, they are pretty. We are practicing those songs for the Mother's Day Program at my school."

I said, "Um, Olivia, you already did the program. You just did it. It was today."

"Nooooo, Mommy! Today was the Mother's Day Luncheon. We were practicing those songs for the Program!"

I said, "But remember Mommy waving at you? Remember me taking your picture? Did you see all of the mommies sitting and watching?"

After several back-and-forths, she finally replied with, "Oh," and a frown. I think she was a little disappointed that was all there was to it. Or maybe she just couldn't figure out why they were all done practicing, finally. 

I guess she may as well learn that this is how these things work; this is how holidays and big performances can be. Preparation and planning and practicing, and then it's over and you sometimes even forget that the real thing isn't just another practice.All that "the journey is more important than the destination" mumbo jumbo can be a real letdown. Many times, the reality of the end and the expectations that grow and build during the journey just don't match.

Eh, maybe I'll let her have ice cream for dinner.